Monday 3 June 2013

Lock and Load 2013

This was my first time at Lock and Load Gamefest and man I achieved basically everything I wanted to.  I entered the p3 Grandmaster Painting competition and won 2 gold medals and 1 silver medal, with 1 of the gold medals taking the trophy for Best Group Entry and a $200 USD cash prize!  I will be posting pics of my entries once I get my friend to take some pro pics with her camera.  I also got to meet Trevor, Jay, and Scott from my favorite podcast to listen to while painting: Chain Attack!.  I felt like a giddy fanboy but its always cool and personable meeting someone you listen to on your computer practically every day.  I got to shake hands and talk to Ron Kruzie and Meg Maples of Privateer Press which was also a nice experience, and must thank all Ron, Meg, and Matt for voting my entries so well.  I also got the pleasure of meeting a friend from Idaho that I had done a painting commission for and got to shake his hand for the first time.  I saw many of the 'pro' gamers hanging about on the tournament floor including Keith Christianson, Will Pagani, Jake Van Meter, Chad Skonwilker, etc which was kinda cool since I study their gameplay extensively on Matt Kotovsky's youtube channel.

Without further rambling, here's a huge photodump of some pics I took at L&L, which may or may not be of good quality.





Brian Dougas sculpting the soon to be plastic Gnarlhorn/Shadowhorn/Riphorn Satyr kit!!! Looks so effin good





























Me and ChainAttack Jay after he stomped his opponent with Haley2 no less
 ???





Night Troll
 Fennblade Kithkar




Trollkin Warders
 Me and ChainAttack Trevor and ChainAttack Jay!



Me and ChainAttack Scott!






The Epic Thagrosh won Best Overall!
 My Skorne Entry





Todd's Kraken won the trophy for Best Large!
 


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the wins! From some of the coverage I've seen in the past, I'm guessing the competition was pretty fierce.

    Hearing you talk about just how much research and thought you put into your gameplay, it reminds me why I don't play WarmaHordes much... just about everyone I know who plays is hyper-competitive. Every time I've pulled out my Khador army in the last couple of years, I've been slapped down inside of 2-3 turns by combos that seemed incomprehensible to me at the time. Most of the time, it's taken me longer to set up my models than it was to finish a match. It's just not that great a game for more casual gamers... it reminds me of playing Magic : The Gathering, but with more time invested.

    Not knocking the game, as it is very well written, with great mechanics. It's just that I don't belong in their target demographic. I enjoy a good challenge, but gaming is somewhat secondary to building and painting for me. The level of dedication needed to play WarmaHordes well is well beyond what I can invest in a single game system.

    ReplyDelete