Thursday 6 June 2013

Messing around with Badger Minitaire Ghost Tints

My complete set of Badger Minitaire Ghost Tints came in the other day, and I pretty much got started testing them out right away.  I have a retribution of scyrah army kind of sitting around and I want to see how fast I can get it together and make it look decent. 

I started with priming this model black, and then on a 45 degree angle spraying it with some grey primer.  Finally, i used an airbrush to hit certain key points of the model where I figured light would pool and would create interesting contrast.

Tints basically leave any solid colors underneath where they are applied in tact, but change the tint (hence the name) to the desired color.  I used Fresh Blood Ghost Tint and covered the entire model except areas around the 'nodes' or 'spheres' of energy, the sword, and the arc node.  These areas I airbrushed with the Plasma Fluid Ghost Tint, and then after that dried I went over the spheres themselves with a small spray of white with the airbrush, creating a glow effect in a pinch.

The model isnt done yet, but I've got the majority of it done and spent about 40 min tops on it.  At this point I'll go in and pick out some metal bits and paint the base.  This is a quick, cheating way to create something to a table top standard or possibly better?  I won't claim to have invented this method however; I got this idea from Les Burley of AwesomePaintJob.

As for rating the Ghost Tints, I have yet to figure out any other great use for them.  I think their main application will be in easy to achieve, basic OSL.  I'll have to try out the other colors (already had a fail attempt on something so far that we won't go in to!) before I give a solid rating.


And heres a smile from baby

No comments:

Post a Comment