Tuesday 16 April 2013

Masking test w/ camouflage

I picked up some Badger Foto Frisket sheets recently and wanted to give them a try.  I decided to do camouflage on an IG Demolisher to start.  I'm mixed about the results, but here's the step by step process I did. (it was super quick and easy).

I first primed the model white, and then layered a coat of VMA Sand all over the model, like so.  Before doing anything further, I found some "good" camouflage stencils from google image search.  I printed out the stencil onto a piece of foto frisket paper using a size i thought was appropriate.  i suggest printing out the size test first on a blank sheet of paper instead of ruining your frisket sheet.



My next step was applying some camouflage patches that I cut out with a small pair of scissors.  Because the Leman russ has so many rivets and uneven surfaces, it proved to be a bit difficult to stick the frisket paper sometimes.  I tried to be as random as possible.  I now realize I think I should try to make more of a pattern instead and probably should just draw my own camouflage on a the frisket paper directly.  this would enable me to make it a perfect size and modify the pattern to certain difficult areas on the tank itself.  I layered a coat of VMA Light Tan (i think this is the name) overtop.  This will be the mid color.

Next, I took more camouflage chunks out of the frisket paper and tried to apply them near the other camouflage areas at random locations.  This should create a 2stage gradient of the camouflage. This was more of a test than anything, because when I hand painted my camouflage on my old IG tanks, it was all a solid color and 2 toned only as opposed to 3 tones here.  Once all the camouflage was applied, it was time for the final color.

I coated the entire area VMA Burnt Umber.  I used a hair dryer to speed up the drying process on all stages of layering.

Aaaaaand.. it looks like a cow.  haha.  It's not bad, not totally what I expected, but I think IG tanks want more of a stiped camouflage pattern than a splotchy camouflage pattern.  It was a good lesson for next time though.  As previously mentioned, I'm going to design the pattern myself with a pencil and draw it on the frisket paper next time.  If i'm going to do the chunky camouflage, I should probably make it either a. bigger next time or b. just put more of it on.  I totally recommend Badger Foto Frisket paper, however.  It's really easy to use and can have many applications.  The only downside I found was it's hard to go over rivets and smaller pieces are sometimes hard to unstick from the paper when trying to peel it.  I also would advise waiting 24 hours until each layer is dry before applying more frisket or trying to peel any off your model - especially if you dont use a hair dryer to speed up the drying.


2 comments:

  1. whahahahahahhhahahahhahahahah..... keep this camo

    we shall have the two most ridiculous IG paint jobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha cow guardsmen and pink guardsmen? i think pink guardsmen is enough =P

      Delete