Sunday 7 April 2013

Sunday wargaming at Strategies

I sneaked away from baby duties today and played a game vs a friend at Strategies Games & Hobbies.  Strategies is unique in Vancouver because it's about the only place left that still enforces the "play it painted" rule.  Now that I have a good portion of my stuff finished I can actually field a decent force and have some options when i play here. I played Rasheth vs Venethrax (crap...) and after a close game and almost everything on both sides dead I admitted defeat.  It was an interesting situation, however, because I had bloodmark on venethrax, and the only thing on the board that could really kill rasheth was venethrax himself.  he didn't want to attack me, however, because he knew i would transfer the damage to him, possibly killing him.  the situation was not that simple though; earlier rasheth had bile thrall chunks spewed his way and got corroded.  corrosion does not expire within venethrax's control area.  oh shit.  like the clever opponent he was, my friend decided to just let rasheth corrode to death.  for fun, after conceding the game to my opponent, i asked him to swing at rasheth with venethrax, just to see if i could transfer the damage to him and take him out with bloodmark.  of course, he rolled exactly what he needed to kill himself! good times.  maybe this trick would've worked on a less experienced opponent but i digress.

i think this was a bad matchup for me with rasheth.  my list had exactly what he wanted - lots of titans to eat and steal fury from.  this was my first time vs venethrax, however, and i think next time i could do things differently.  since his list was mainly infantry, i dont think enraging the titans every turn is necessary.  instead, i should make sure i keep as little fury on them as possible so venethrax cant keep mulching through them.  also spacing them out a little and making sure venethrax has to choose 1 to go kill instead of getting 2 in a turn would be handy.  gators aren't particularly useful vs undead stuff either.

his list was
Venethrax
Seether
Defiler? bonejack with spray attack
Skarlock Thrall
Mechanithralls max
Bloodgorgers min 
Bile Thralls min fuck these guys
Necrosurgeon and Stitch Thralls
Gerlak Slaughterborn
Warbitch Siren
Bloat Thrall
Necrotech & bomb guy lol 

my list was
Rasheth tier 2 chain gang
Titan Gladiator
Bronzeback Titan
Titan Sentry
Gatormen Posse max
Paingiver Beasthandlers min
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew
Agonizer
Paingiver Taskmaster (proxied with Aptimus Marketh, I forgot the Taskmaster at home on the paint table)




 This was a game my other friend was playing.  both very nicely painted armies.  go strategies for this awesome rule.  the experience of playing a wargame is just so greatly enhanced by these amazingly painted little toy dudes.



3 comments:

  1. I heartedly endorse Strategies as well. Darren, Carmin, and the rest of the crew really know their games well, and are extremely friendly. Gaming isn't something they do on the side... it's really a fundamental part of each of their personalities. I would say that's part of the reason why they insist on painted models in their stores... they know that painted armies are just more fun to play with (and against). I get much more of a thrill playing against someone that respects the hobby enough to showcase their models in the best way possible... by painting them!

    Those are some damn nice looking armies, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no better feeling of accomplishment when you have a fully painted army to deploy. I think I'll be making a regular Sunday trip to Strategies for that reason. You should come out and have a game Kelly =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. For way too many reasons to post here, I just can't get into WarmaHordes... I do have a decent sized Khador collection, much of which is even painted, but the game itself is just not for me. I am rebuilding my 40k and Fantasy armies, but that's taking quite some time. I have painted a few WM models for some local friends, and there is a chance that you might see them in action sometime at Strategies.

    ReplyDelete