Saturday 23 March 2013

OSL test

I wanted to test airbrushing OSL before I tried something similar with Mohsar's potion underneath his scythe... So here's what I came up with.  The photo to the left is a cities of death lamp I had kicking around and was a perfect opportunity to practice with.  After glueing it to a spare base and putting some debris scattered around I was ready to start.  I began with drybrushing the entire thing gray for the dull cityscape look.  I then airbrushed around the light and ground VMA white, orange, and gold yellow.

I thought it looked a little dark so I tried going up a stage in yellow.  I think this produced the best look so far.  I only applied the brighter yellow in the actual glass panes that the light itself is behind.  Its times like this I wish I had someone to buy Badger's Freak Flex tint products with.  Les from awesomepaintjob on youtube makes them look SO easy to do OSL.  He simply airbrushes white where he wants to apply the OSL shine and then airbrushes any color of tint overtop and BOOM the tint is clear and just makes the white colored. I tried to mimic that a bit with just paint but I think the effect wasn't as good...







And on this side I wanted to see what it was like to go up to white.. If someone is daring enough they could even leave a comment and give me their opinion on what looks better!














this is Mohsar's potion before I ruined it... lol












And here it is after I ruined it.  I figured it wasn't good enough as is so I decided to touch it up with some hand paint.















And there's the final product.  I basically did the same thing as I did with the lamp earlier with the exception of brightening the potion itself up a bit with some bright yellow mixed with white.  I'm not too sure how I feel about it.  Oh well.. like anything in this hobby it's a learning experience that I'm sure I'll be practicing more of.  I have to figure out how I'm going to tackle glowing runes on circle wolds...

No comments:

Post a Comment